Sister Nely Gamayon, Director of Oro Bible College, Cagayan de Oro, has sent us the following report…
ORO BIBLE COLLEGE Report:
School Year 2014-2015
I. We praise and thank the Lord for His guidance and provision for school year 2014-2015. For the college department, we had an enrolment of 27 for the first semester and 22 for the second semester. The preschool had an enrolment of 3 for the Nursery, 14 for the K1 and 24 for the K2 pupils. In March, we graduated 4 from the college department and 21 from the preschool.
II. The AB Theology graduates were: Alma B. Cortez from AGAPE, Mati, Davao Oriental, Lucio L. Dilag from Mindagat Advent Christian Church, Bukidnon, Jerico B. Lagat from the Methodist Church of Carmen, Cagayan de Oro, and Jeffrey L. Sy from an independent Church in Camaman-an, Cagayan de Oro.
Standing in front are the graduates, from left – Alma B. Cortez, Lucio L. Dilag, Jerico B. Lagat and Jeffrey L. Sy.
After graduation from OBC, Alma went back to Mati, Davao Oriental and now is doing church planting with the AGAPE Ministry; at the same time assisting in the ministries of AGAPE. Lucio Dilag is now associate pastor at the Camaman-an Church planting ministry of Rev. Melchor Jandayan in partnership with the New Life Church, Iligan City. Jerico B. Lagat is now doing pastoral work in Cavite City with his wife, Genelou Zambas. Jeffrey L. Sy is assistant pastor at the Bible Study Fellowship an independent church in Camaman-an, Cagayan de Oro.
III. Our graduation speakers were: Pastor Reniel M. Comajeg for the preschool and Rev. Jonathan B. Enaje of the Light of the World Church, Carmen, Cagayan de Oro for the AB Theology commencement exercises.
IV. OBC interns for the first semester (June to October) for SY 2015-2016 are the following:
1. Ericson Bucio from Candijay Bohol, and his place of assignment is the Advent Christian Church in Riverside, Calinan Davao City with Pastor Benjie M. Ragas as his supervisor and Pastor Reniel M. comajeg as his college adviser.
2. El Mark O. Compra from Patrocenio Advent Christian Church, and his place of assignment is at the Advent Christian Church in Naburos Island, Misamis Occidental with Pastor John Sarmientoas his supervisor and Pastor Billy Comahig as his college adviser.
3. Jenilyn Dilag from Mindagat Advent Christian Church, Malitbog, Bukidnon, and she is assigned in Jesus is Alive Church Planting Ministry at Agora, Lapasan Cagayan de Oro. Her supervisor is Pastora Josephine Rojo (a graduate of OBC) and her college adviser is Mizpah Joy C. Zambas.
4. Ailyn Khor Lanat is from Pangantucan, Bukidnon and she is assigned to do her internship also at the Jesus is Alive Church Planting Ministry at Agora lapasan, Cagayan de Oro. Her supervisor is Pastora Josephine Rojo and her college adviser is Mrs. Fe M. Laturgo.
These are the interns for school year 2015-2016: From left is Ericson Bucio, Ailyn Khor Lanat, Jenilyn Dilag, and El Mark O. Compra
V. We were able to conduct summer classes for the following courses:
April to May 2014
Philosophy Dr. Nely A. Gamayon
Humanities & the Arts Dr. Nely A. Gamayon
Exegesis of a Gospel Pastor Reniel M. Comajeg
VI. Field Education:
NSTP – First Year Students
On the first and second semester of the school year, first year students held classes once a week and on weekends, went out to the identified community outreach area for tutorials on children’s school lessons, teaching values, teaching mothers good housekeeping and child care, handcrafts and doing Bible study, teaching children Sunday School lessons and feeding children. Students answered to the call for coastal cleaning, walk for a cause, and coastal tree planting. NSTP teacher and coordinator attended seminars, briefing and instruction for civic activities and concerns.
Survivors of the typhoon “Sendong” in 2013 now relocated in Calaanan, Canitoan Cagayan de Oro City were still the clients of the student of NSTP. Working with an alumni, Rev. Alex Dane now working with an NGO in the city for rehabilitation and development, the students ministered to the children and their families. Bible study contacts made out of the activities of the NSTP were turned over to the ministry of Rev. Alex Dane in the area. After the sudden death of Pastor Alex Dane, OBC NSTP is now working at the Calaanan Rehabilitation area with Pastor Norman Eduave. The NSTP students submitted a project proposal for proper garbage disposal and recycling for livelihood of the Sendong survivors. A culminating program was conducted by the OBC NSTP class giving out certificate of completion for all the children, youth and adults involved in the program. At the College, a graduation ceremony for NSTP was conducted at the Chapel and certificates of completion were also given to the students enrolled in NSTP class. Pastor Billy M. Comahig was the speaker for the activity.
Ministry Skills – Second Year and Third Year Students
On weekends, second year and third year students went out to the various churches where they were assigned to lead worship, play musical instruments, teach Sunday School to children, youth and adults, lead bible studies, teach and lead young people in the youth groups, preach on Sundays as requested and during prayer meetings when asked; assisted the pastors and leaders of the churches for any ministry they were called upon to help. With the ministry skills, Oro Bible College was able to partner with AC and Non-AC churches in the students’ weekend ministries. Second year students were assigned to teach Sunday school and lead the Children’s Church with Mrs. Lillian S. Ang as their supervisor in coordination with Miss Minda Lipanta as the Dean of Field Education.
Internship – First Semester – Fourth Year Students
For academic year 2014-2015 interns were able to comply with the requirements for the program of internship in the churches and Para-church ministries they were assigned to.
Alma B. Cortez assisted her supervisor, Pastora Vanessa Dilag – now Llenares at the Hinaplanan Advent Christian Church, Hinaplanan, Claveria. She preached, led Bible studies, taught Sunday school, led and taught young people, and assisted in the basketball ministry of the church. During the weekdays, Alma assisted in the daycare center in the teaching of the children enrolled in preschool.
Lucio L. Dilag assisted in the pastoral work at the In Christ Glory Church, Iligan City under the supervision of Rev. Virgilio J. Pallo, Senior Pastor. Lucio preached during worship services and prayer meetings, lead Bible studies, evangelized and got involved in every activity the supervisor assigned him to do.
Jerico B. Lagat did his internship at Cavite City, Manila. He was assigned to assist in pastoral work for five churches of the Presbyterian denomination. He preached, led Bible studies, led youth and assisted the pastors assigned as his supervisor every time. He was also opportune to attend seminars and teach-ins of the group.
Jeffrey L. Sy was assigned to preach, lead Bible studies, lead young people and do visitation to the members of the Riverside Calinan Advent Christian Church. He was able to do every assignment the supervisor, Pastor Benjie M. Ragas assigned him to do.
Students came back to the College with their faith strengthened and their commitment to fulltime ministry deepened.
Achievement of Interns:
1. Evangelized and led people to accept the Lord as their personal Savior
2. Led and ministered to adults
3. Led and ministered to young people
4. Taught children
5. Preached God’s Word
6. Observed how things were done in actual ministry
Church Planting Ministry – Second Semester, First year to Fourth Year Students
1. Places and teams:
a. Team Buena Oro, Cagayan de Oro City
b. Kauswagan, Cagayan de Oro
c. Youth Ministry – on campus Bible study
2. Bible Studies established:
a. 4 regular
b. 2 irregular
a. adults and young people
b. children taught and evangelized
c. Prayer teams praying specifically for Bible study contacts and Sunday school students, families ministered to.
4. Some students were also able to participate in a crusade with the church planting ministry of Rev. Melchor Jandayan at Camaman-an, Cagayan de Oro City.
5. Some of the male students assisted in the conduct of the basketball clinic and evangelism at Indahag Outreach Church with Brother Caleb Gawangon and Pastor Julie Pallo.
6. Still other students spent the rest of their summer vacation helping out in the Daily Vacation Bible School of their churches and at areas where they were requested to train, teach and assist.
God is at work in Oro Bible College. God in His sovereignty and grace causes the OBC community to minister to the needs of adults, young people, and children and shared the Gospel to the un-churched people. To God alone is the glory.
1. An OBC Sunday was held at the Maranatha Bible Church, Cagayan de Oro City on December, 2014. The students assisted in the teaching of children and young people Sunday school classes, led in children’s church, led worship, and the Director preached the Sunday’s sermon.
2. An OBC Sunday was also held at the Claveria Advent Christian Church. The students taught Sunday school, visited homes of some members, did counseling, led the youth Sunday afternoon service and Pastor Billy M. Comahig preached the Sunday’s sermon.
Students presented an interpretation of “We Were the Reason”
The director for the promotional talk
Students, faculty and staff
The young people who answered the challenge to come to OBC for equipping
A. Fulltime Faculty
1. Dr. Nely A. Gamayon – Director, Academic Affairs, Professor to GE and Concentration Courses
2. Pastor Billy Comahig – Dean of Student Affairs
Chairman of Discipline Committee
Professor of Bible and Ministry Courses
3. Pastor Reniel M. Comajeg – Dean of Spiritual Life
Professor for Theology, Bible and Ministry Courses
4 Mrs. Amy Gawangon – Head-Preschool Dept. Teacher for K2
5. Miss Rhona D. Saripa – Teacher for K1
6. Miss Minda C. Lipanta – Dean of Field Education
7. Mrs. Fe M. Laturgo – Co-Curricular Programs Coordinator
B. Part-time Faculty
1. Josephine Gajudo – Filipino Language
2. Jenito Asequia – Rizal Studies, Pol Scie, Phil. History
3. Arthur M. Ranque – Natural Science Courses
4. Jerome Valdez – Math & Statistics
5. Liza Marie Zosa – Music and Choir
6. Joanne Comahig – Info. Technology
7. Jess Gawangon – Theology and Bible
8. Miss Minda C. Lipanta – Ministry Skills
C. Academic Support Personnel
1. Fe M. Laturgo – Librarian,
2. Mizpah Joy C. Zambas – Registrar
3. Minda C. Lipanta -NSTP Coordinator
D. Non-Academic Support Personnel
1. Finance Officer – Miss Myriam S. Abejuela
2. Bookkeeper – Mrs. Fe Laturgo
3. Dorm Supervisors
Mrs. Amy R. Gawangon
Pastor Reniel M. Comajeg
4. General Services – Miss Minda Lipanta
5. Auditor – Mr. Lucio Dinorog Accounting Office
6. Security – Mr. Randy Reyes
E. Board of Trustees
1. Rev. Virgilio Pallo – Chairman
2. Rev. Herminigildo Mahinay – Member
3. Rev. Nelson Villanueva – Member
4. Mrs. Floridez V. Tejano – Member, Secretary
5. Bishop Efren Miranda – BPACCI Representative
6. Dr. Nely A. Gamayon, Ph.D – Director, OBC Corporate Treasurer (For SEC
IX. Physical Plant
1. Initial visit from the World Outreach Director, Rev. Jeff Walsh together with Rev. John Gilbert and Brother Wes from North Carolina to inspect the areas that need repairs. They met with the Director together with the College Engineer consultant, Engineer Jenito M. Asequia. Engineer Asequia was requested to do the costing for the prioritized areas for repair and then they in the US are going to form a work team who will come towards the end of the year. Engineer Asequia will lead the work, also find Filipino skilled workers to work with the team.
Areas that are prioritized are:
a. Roof for the preschool building
b. Ceiling, walls and the children’s play area
c. Business office – together with the BPACCI office (BPACCI will be requested to move
back to the conference while the repairs are done for their office
d. Boys dorm rooms, ceiling walls and floors
e. Classroom building ceiling and gutters
f. Flood control installation; strengthening concrete wall of drainage/canal
X. Faculty workshop conducted in March 23 – 24, 2015
A faculty workshop and strategic planning was conducted by all the fulltime faculty and staff of the college. Evaluation was conducted on the previous school year, plans and approaches determined for the new school year – 2015-2016 were also determined.
XI. Prayer Request Items:
A. Mature and experienced in Ministry first year students
B. 50 students for the preschool
C. Health of the Filipino Faculty and Staff
D. Institutional Quality Assurance Monitoring Evaluation which need to be accomplished in three years’ time from now; pray for the faculty and staff, the deans, and the administrator for the preparation of the Self-Evaluation Document
E. Approval of curriculum revision that includes concentrations in the AB program: Religious Studies, Missions, Pastoral Ministry
F. Funds needed to pay for the retirement fee of the following:
Miss Minda Lipanta – Mandatory retirement at age 60 (April 30, 2014)
Dr. Nely A. Gamayon – Mandatory retirement at age 60 (April 30, 2017
Separation Pay of Mrs. Helen L. Sitoy
G. Funds for the completion of the classroom building, the preschool and graders building, the restructuring and improvement of the Admin building
H. More souls brought to the kingdom from the ministry of the students and faculty.
I. Students who are more experienced of the church ministry and are also mature, at least have a better understanding of God’s call to fulltime ministry.
J. NSTP, ministry Skills, Internship and Church Planting Program of the College
K. Interns who will go out on Internship
L. Graduates in their new assignments of ministry
M. 2 floor mounted air conditioning units for the chapel
N. Funds for physical facility repairs
O. Summer classes in April, May, June and July 2016 with Foreign Professors
Q. Generators for brownouts
Please pray with us for the following projects:
Funds for the Physical Development Plan for the whole campus
Funds for continuing education of faculty and staff
Funds for retirement of retiring faculty
Funds for chair sponsorship program
Funds for health insurance of fulltime faculty and staff
Separation Pay of one Faculty ……… P 34,974.40
Retirement Pay (Lipanta) …………….. 258,742.89
Fire Protection Equipment …….. 200,000.00
2 Floor Mounted Aircon (chapel) …. 150,000.00
2 generators …………. 150,000.00
Total Need …… P 793,717.29
Nely A. Gamayon