Greetings from the rice fields of Northeast Thailand. No matter what direction we look from the church we can see rice fields green and beautiful. Normally by the middle of September things would be starting to dry out a bit so the rice fields could start drying out and getting ready for harvest. Although it is starting to be sunny during the day, the rains are coming every night now. While it isn’t bothering us right now in our immediate area, some areas that were flooded last year are being hit by floods again this year and there are no projections as to how much of Thailand will be flooded this year.
This past week has been a busy one for us here. As part of our English Program, “Older teaching Younger”, the 4-6 grade students, after receiving training in the English Camp, are to teach grades 1-3 at their own school. We spent two full days visiting 9 elementary schools last week and was blessed and very pleased by what we saw. The English teacher at one school says she has stopped teaching English. The Older teaching Younger students are doing better than she can. English is taught from 9-10 am. Mon-Fri. The teacher sits outside of the classroom to monitor. At 3 pm she meets with the student teachers for about a half an hour. They discuss how the day went and what will be taught the next day. The teacher told me she has never seen the younger students so willing to learn, and that they are making good progress. Praise God for this.
Next term, God willing, we will be doing three camps a month. We see 80 students at each camp, so that is 240-250 kids each month; these students go back and teach at their schools, so that is another 250 kids a month. Please pray that we can continue.
- Flooding in Thailand, as well as India, Burma, the Philippines.
- Our younger kids that are learning English – that they will start seeing why it is important.
- Our students here at the Mission as they get ready for final exams for their first semester.
- Good health, strength and wisdom for John and Maeo
- Pray for visitors coming from the US and New Zealand
- Pray for our teen leaders going to Bangkok for teen leadership seminar
- Pray for our VBS October 15-17
Thank you for your continued support and your prayers; they are what keep us going over here.