Reported by Ernie Schache
April 9, 2010 — Auckland, New Zealand
Malaysia is of course a Muslim country and Christian ministry is not easy or simple there. There is a need to pray for the country as a whole because at present there is increased tension between Christians and Muslims, because of the use of the name “Allah” and sadly the differing views are bringing violence and injury and destruction of property to many.
Keluang is located roughly in the middle of the state of Johor in Malaysia and lies about 110 km north of Johor Bahru, which is the state capital on the southern border of Malaysia and Singapore. The town has more than 140,000 residents.
The Advent Christian Church in Kluang, is presently a small group led by Ruth Devairakkam (daughter of the founder of the work, the late Rev. T. Devairakkam) and her husband, Wilfred. They are assisted by their daughters, Joanna and Jerusha.
The ministry is very much a “one-on-one” ministry, but the members gather together for fellowship and worship every Sunday morning. Ruth visits her contacts in their homes or invites them to her home and shares her faith and the love of the Lord with them. She recently reported as follows:
- “I shared Jesus to Chinese young ladies. They listened attentively. Thank God for this beautiful opportunity. They are hungry for God’s Word. They want to know more. They will be coming over to my home to hear more of Jesus. They will further their studies in Taiwan, in a few months’ time.”
- “I met a non-believer (Indian lady) on my way home. We became friends. She shared her grief and pain that she had been carrying for the past eight years over the loss of her two sons she loved dearly. She said she felt better after sharing with me, and wants to meet me again.”
- “The Lord opened the opportunity for me to share Jesus to a non-believer (Indian lady) who had lost her husband, and was going through a very painful time. She made a decision for Christ. I have given her a Bible.”
- “Thank God for this young Indian gentleman (non-believer) who came to visit us suddenly, at our home. He attended our AC Sunday school during his childhood days. He is married, and was going through a difficult time. He remembered Jesus. He called the name of Jesus for help. Jesus appeared in his dream. He got a breakthrough over his situation. He said he wants to join our home fellowship. He still has the Bible given to him by my late father, Rev. T. Devairakkam.”
- “Another Indian gentleman (non-believer) who lives 70 kilometres away rang up Wilfred to say that he wants to visit us. He is still keeping the Bible given to him by Wilfred 20 years ago. We look forward to have fellowship with him and to share Jesus to him.”
Praise the Lord with Ruth and Wilfred for the work of the Holy Spirit in these lives, and support them in prayer, seeking the Lord’s guidance and power for growth in the Kluang Advent Christian Church in the future.
Yours in His service,
Reported on behalf of Advent Christian Conference of Malaysia – Keluang by:
ACMissioNZ | PO Box 202162 | Southgate |Takanini 2246 | New Zealand
Ernie Schache | PO Box 80010 | Green Bay | Waitakere 0643 | New Zealand